What have you seen lately?

So, what have you seen lately? Any thoughts on it? Should we watch or should we stay away? Guilty pleasure perhaps?

During my trip to the States, I got to watch a few things on the plane flights over and back:

Alien Covenant: 7/10 - Gorgeous visuals, but a clutching at straws to try and make some high-brow bullshit about where the Alien comes from (I DON’T FUCKING CARE! It’s a perfect creature, it doesn’t need to be explained, just exist).

Baywatch: 8/10 - What the hell, this was much better than I expected. Undeniably sexist, but they know it and have a dig at themselves over it too. Got some good laughs throughout.

Fist Fight: 6/10 - Got some giggles out of it from the sheer “what the fuck is going on!?” moments. Ice Cube is a good laugh in it, playing to conventional stereotypes, but the other main character was pretty good too. A fun mindless laugh.

Fast and Furious 8: 6/10 - They’re pushing the envelope on how bat-shit crazy they can get with this franchise and there are still 2 more films to be made before they wrap it up. They’re dumb, they’re fun, what more do you need?

Marvels: The Defenders: 7/10 (so far) - Only 4 episodes in, but they’ve done a good job on putting the characters together and managed to make Iron Fist less of an annoying twat!

The new remake of Beauty & The Beast is surprisingly good. Saw that recently - I didn’t realise that the Beast was completely rendered CGI. Quality was amazing.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is just awesome - really happy with my purchase :smiley:

Eerrrm.

Shooter (TV) - Far better than expected! Waiting till all of season 2 have aired to binge on Netflix.

The Defenders - Loads have slated it, same with Iron Fist, I however really enjoyed both.

Game of Thrones - Holy fugg fugging fugg.

Ozark - Real good Netflix original, went in not knowing anything about it, thoroughly enjoyed.

The Shallows - Didn’t know much about this, other than there’s water and a shark haha. Watched in 4K HDR, the film was intense as heck most of the time, made even more so by the visuals and sound, just wow! Like proper Wow!

Caught up on game of thrones, they made a mess of the Dorne story and wisely dealt with it after realising their fuck up. Shame as it’s one of the most interesting parts of the later books (aside from anything else happening that is)

Saw Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, Luke Cage was fun but clearly a show struggling with budget. Jessica Jones was utterly brilliant, absorbing, menacing and easily my favourite out of all the Marvel shows (helps that Krysten Ritter is hot AF).

Watched Sicario at the weekend. Not a bad movie. Worth a watch if you like FBI/drug cartel movies. Solid 8/10 for me.

I try to avoid TV where possible, and I don’t really go to the cinema more than twice a year, but:

Blood Drive on Netflix is rather good. One of the few things Claire and I agree is worth watching.
The new Philip K Dick shorts started well the other night.
And although it was very daft, Drive Angry with Nic Cage was a fun watch

TV-wise, currently watching:

• Ray Donovan
  • Rick and Morty
  • The Last Ship

Going to be picking up The Expanse Season 2 and the end of the most recent Silicon Valley season soon as well.

Just finished up ‘The Strain’ which has just finished.

If you haven’t already, go watch ‘Dirk Gently’s holistic detectives agency’ on Netflix.

we watched “fantastic beasts and where to find them” on Monday. I hated it! story line made no sense, no consistency with the books, i still cant fathom the point of Grindelwald being in it. to me it felt that it was only made to appease the american market as america isn’t mentioned in any single Harry Potter book or film.

:bell: :bell: :bell: spoilers look away if you intend to watch it :bell::bell::bell:

if i wanted to show my geeky side i could argue that Grindelwald should not have been an american actor, that it also made no sense why Newt would have travelled via steam boat when he could disapparate and that really apart from a few beasts in his bag there was no real mention of Fantastic beasts and where to find them

Went to see the new “IT” film. I thought it was pretty damn good!

I saw the original when I was in my 20’s and didn’t think it was all that great. A few great scenes here and there, but for the most part… lacklustre.

This was genuinely creepy in places, had some solid scares but also had some brilliant laughs in it.

The kid actors in it are superb to be fair and the new Pennywise is creepy as fuck.

If you can tolerate clowns and a decent scare, go see it.

Also, due to poor time management and certain plans falling through… it took me 4 bookings and €40 to actually get around to seeing thing.

I’ll watch anything with a Skarsgård in it. Almost a whole family of actors and nudists.

Bladerunner 2049 is on my to-do list when I am off, and would like to see Kingsman 2 if it’s still being shown.

TV

Currently watching:

• Saving Lives at Sea (Series 2) about RNLI Rescues on BBC2
  • Ambulance (BBC2) Documentary following the Ambulance crews in the Midlands
  • Rosewood (Alibi) in the final season :frowning:
  • Private Eyes (S2) Universal
  • Trying to stay with Rellik (BBC1)
  • Watched Cucckoo’s Caling which was very good; Silkworm to watch (BBC1) JK Rowling Detective.
  • Gardener’s World (at 50)

DVD

• Waiting to watch the final Pirates film.
  • Waiting to watch Hidden Figures - the women behind NASA
  • Waiting to watch Kong - Skull Island

I started that, thought it was good, but stopped watching. Might go back to it

@vredesbyrd you started Expanse S2? Finished it last night. Been binge watching it the last couple of days. Its awesome. Really love the whole feel of the show and certainly left itching for more. Only a year to wait.

That’s this week, next week looks better:

The Orville’s got great potential, but i do wonder if people don’t like seth macfarlane as a lead because he’s just got a very smug looking face that’s slightly too young for his voice. It’s got a very Star Trek vibe to it, while being a workplace sitcom.

Star Trek Disco (legit abbreviation) starts next week! 'nuff said.

Not sure what story Channel Zero is covering for season 2, but Candle Cove was suitable creepy so I’m going to go into it without checking.

Pirates was entertaining enough par for the course, but did feel like a number of set pieces interlinked by a weak plot.

Kong Skull Island i really enjoyed apart from Kong himself; not a fan of the ‘bigfoot’ kong. Needs less homo and more pan, gorilla, or even pongo… yeah, a giant orange Kong, that’s what i want to see.

Giant Orange Kong should be a garage punk band.

Star Trek Disco!!! forgot about that. Cannae wait. @adrock good shout.

New Z Nation!!

POSTMUSTBEATLEAST20CHARACTERS!!!

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 7/10 Good solid watch. Lock Stock meets Robin Hood. Have to say enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Guy Ritchie has done a good job mixing the 2 together.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales 7/10 Its a pirates movie, does what it says on the tin.

Went to see Bladerunner 2049 last night. Great watch all-round. Slow-paced, but that made the scenes with action seem that bit more intense. Great acting from the cast in general, though some scenes with Jared Leto seemed indiscernible due to him mumbling a little bit.

A relatively standard story to be honest, but it’s certainly a visual treat and well worth seeing if you’re a fan of the original.

9/10.