Warhammer Painting

So, in the cold afternoon light, it’s not as bad as I thought it was, I’m actually fairly happy with the scheme aside from the silver:

In addition to the silver though I’d spend some more time making the coverage of the sepia wash over the white more even so you there is less patchiness/fewer strokes visible, or failing that encorporate it in to the scheme.

I’ll finish the highlights on the purple and white/bone and do the gold just to test the rest of the scheme then do a final test model to doubly check I’m happy then strip off the three test models and apply the scheme to whole group.

One thing about the scheme is that the white isn’t even close to the reference image I was working on, but I quite like it. Maybe I’ll do a Mortifactors splinter chapter or something.

Somewhere in there I’ll assemble a couple of test models for my Necro gang and test their paint scheme, although I can’t see there being too many problems since they’re just following this general scheme:

Gotta grab the models for the guardians as well to check how much they dwarf the Neophytes since the Neophytes are 28mm and the Guardians are 50-something.

Those last models look so life like, how did you get the faces like that; marvelous work. They look just like the Ravages from GotG 2.

I called “finished” on both of these last night, but now that I’ve seem the photo of the Plaguecaster I want to put just a little highlighting on his big beat stick;

Same with this Sergeant/Champ - feel like I need to lighten the grass and do something with his power fist but…

Nicely done fella. I can see what you meant by the “where does the flesh end and the armour begin?” issue you mentioned before :slight_smile:

I thought this was rather awesome :smiley:

So… there is a new Knight on the way…

Fuck me, that’s a lot of guns. Enough to make an Ork proud!

Dakakakakakakakakakakakakaka

Daka for gork and mork

This is one hell of a paintjob! :open_mouth:

This speaks to me…

So true matey, so very true

Got stuck with motivation on the Helbrute (so much detail and I don’t want to screw it up) so I switched fire. Now I have too many “work in progress’s”!!!

There is no such thing as “too many things in progress”… :smiley:

So I recently put together a small Tachikoma (yes I’m still predictable) and need some advice on painting. I don’t wanna spent insane amounts of money on it, just a few touchups and weathering. What color and brand would you recommend? Is a brush enough? Maybe there is some sort of starter kit? Is there maybe some sort of pen which would work?

Just imaginge I’ve got no clue about model painting, that would be no stretch but totally accurate :laughing: The little guy is quite tiny, also he is articulated to some degree.

here is a picture of the little guy

You’re going to have to make sure that there is no release agent left on any surfaces if you’re going to paint it in any way. So, you’ll have to wash it first, or give it a scrub with a toothbrush and some soapy water then dry it out.

Paint won’t adhere to the plastic directly, unless you’re using an airbrush I think, but even then it would have to be specific paints.

My own recommendation is that unless you’ve glued everything together, break it down to its major parts or components, then basecoat them with a primer (plastic primer, preferably grey), then you can get to painting it.

If you want to run with the original colour scheme of metal, blue and ivory (eyes), then you might want a few different shades of blue, black (for undercoating before metal), white in some shades and a few washes.

Vallejo make excellent paints, but they are pricey enough, but 30ml bottles would be enough.

Get some decent large brushes (Game Gears is one company I use) for the larger flat surfaces, then a medium grade and a fine-detail brush.

Say you get the general colouring done of all surfaces, washes help to pick out smaller details (like rivets, folds, pits, shadows) and then edge highlighting is a quick and easy way to make some features stand out.

Edge highlighting is just taking a much lighter, or slightly contrasting colour to the base colour and running a thin line around edges. So, say for example the forward wheeled legs, you would do edge highlighting along the sharp edges that run along the armour.

Wet shading is something I have only ever attempted once and it was a bastard to do on a simple sword (paints weren’t wet enough), so I would have no suggestions on how to do it on the larger plates of armour.

Just some rambling from me :slight_smile:

Oooooo paint it the yellow orange construction one that guy was a beast haha

I glued a few parts together already so dissasembly is not entirely possible. Especially the back compartement is almost entirely fixed, legs too. Still those are partly a flat color and should be easy to paint. I was considering keeping the color and just add a few shades. I looked up the paints, they are quite expensive here in Korea but I might pick up a set for cheap and import it from USA.

I thought about getting the metallic set, black primer and matte varnish for the finish? Any Ideas on that, I’m not sure if the finish is necessary?

Yeah washing it and drying it thoroughly as Caolan says is quite key and the primer as well. When I prime my stuff I use a Halfords "Plastic " Primer which is cheap and thin enough that you don’t lose detail. A dark spray primer would work well for you if you’re going to use metallic paints overt the top. I’ve never used any of the finishers or vanishes but I’m tempted…

As if I didn’t have enough to paint already I keep overcomplicating things :grin:;

Ready for priming.
If it ever stops raining.

@spoonlamp - does this mean we will see a far off planet scene with all your figurines like those players who re-enact battles with miniatures?

Fucking love the use of hot glue! :metal: