Oh Russia, you so crazy

Russian nuclear weapons engineers caught ­­­­minting blockchange with supercomputer

hahaha - wow, wait a minute…

The system—used for simulating weapons tests—was not supposed to be connected to Internet.

Russia’s Interfax News Agency reports that engineers at the All-Russian Research Institute of Experimental Physics (RFNC-VNIIEF)—the Russian Federation Nuclear Center facility where scientists designed the Soviet Union’s first nuclear bomb—have been arrested for mining cryptocurrency with “office computing resources,” according to a spokesperson for the Institute. “There has been an unsanctioned attempt to use computer facilities for private purposes including so-called mining,” said Tatyana Zalesskaya, head of the Institute’s press service.

Because of the nature of the work at the Institute, technically none of the Institute’s computers—including its 1-petaflop capable supercomputer, used for simulating tests of nuclear weapons designs—is supposed to be connected to the Internet. According to the Russian news service Mash, someone at the Institute attempted to connect the supercomputer to the Internet, and that attempt was detected by the FSB, launching an investigation.

Full article

Ronan sent me the link to the article yesterday. Wow.

I’m guessing those guys are on less than ruskie minimum wage if they took that chance. FSB are going to have fun with them I reckon.

This has got to be the modern equivalent of misappropriating national resources to build yourself a dacha - although that is probably still a thing…